nil n : a quantity of no importance; "it looked like nothing I had ever seen before"; "reduced to nil all the work we had done"; "we racked up a pathetic goose egg"; "it was all for naught"; "I didn't hear zilch about it" [syn: nothing, nix, nada, null, aught, cipher, cypher, goose egg, naught, zero, zilch, zip]
- Rhymes with: -ɪl
zero (used especially in the soccer scores)
(LISP) atom representing the empty list
- No, not any.
- 1982 But after two or three hours and nil results, you have to accept that the trail is cold and you can't justify that level of manpower. — Conduct of Major Maxim, Gavin Lyall, Hodder & Stoughton Ltd
- SAMPA: /nil/
Pronounnil In the context of "Indefinite pronoun":
Specific uses of Nil include:
- In the card game, spades, when a player predicts that they will win zero tricks, this is commonly referred to as going nil.
- Nil is an American improvisational psychedelic rock band
- Nil is a Japanese rock trio fronted by Takano Tetsu, former vocalist of Malice Mizer.
- A keyword used to represent a null pointer in Pascal and Pascal-like programming languages.
- NIL is the name of an implementation of the LISP programming language
- Nil is a mock programming language.
- NIL is a Network Interface Language. See RFC-33.
- NiL, NiL Isn't Liero, a computer game.
- Nil: A Land Beyond Belief is a 2005 graphic novel published by SLG Press.
- "Nil" is used in some computer programming languages to indicate an invalid/uninitialized variable (e.g. Ruby), or an empty list (e.g. SML). See also Null (computer programming).
- In the LISP programming language NIL is used to denote falsehood and the empty list.
- Short form of Nilay, a turkish female name and also, Nil Karaibrahimgil is a Turkish female singer.
- NIL may mean nanoimprint lithography.
- Nil is an album released by Japanese rock band Gazette.
- Nil is a brand of cigarettes produced by the Gallaher Group.
- N.I.L. ("Nihilism Is Liberation") is an American black metal band.
- North Island Line, a proposed extension railway of Hong Kong
- NIL: "Negative for Intraepithelial Lesion" is a result of a pap smear.
nil in Danish: Nil
nil in German: Nil (Begriffsklärung)
nil in Finnish: Nolla